Friday, August 1, 2008

The Grapes Taste Like Plums

The grapes taste like plums and the apples taste like pears in China. When I conveyed to the cleaning staff at the hotel that my air conditioning was leaking using both charades and picture aids, they put a trash bin under it. The second sink in the hallway doesn't work, so I have started to use it as a fruit bowl. I think I'm starting to adapt.


The Chinese drink their water lukewarm. Even when it is 100 degrees out, they make sure that the cup has a combination of hot and cold water in it before handing it to you. Today was the first time I had ice water and it was magnificent.
I saw a Chinese Golden Retriever earlier this morning. It was the first large dog I have seen since my arrival. Sharon told me that they are so few and far between here because the big ones get eaten first. Lovely.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would have loved to seen you try and demonstrate that your air conditioning is leaking with hand motions and signals. i love your sink fruit bowl, too.

as for the water, yeah, the chinese don't like cold beverages too much. they definitely do put certain drinks in the fridge and bring them out when it's hot out, but there's also the thinking that too much cold isn't good for your stomach or digestive system. my relatives, even my mom, scold me whenever i want to drink something that's come straight out of the fridge: "Ugh, too cold, not good for stomach... not good for bearing sons..." perhaps it's the american in me that they consider barbarian.

love your blog. post pictures to the B2 flickr account!

<3, IRIS